Skip to main content

Google Public Alerts

       I was in the office having my lunch today with my colleagues, when we felt the tremors of a 5.2 magnitude earthquake whose epicenter was at Bahadurgarh in Haryana about 46 km (28 miles) from Delhi - the capital of India. I went back to my desk and that is when I came across this new initiative of Google - Google Public Alerts. Google Public Alerts is Google’s new platform for disseminating emergency messages such as evacuation notices for hurricanes, and everyday alerts such as storm warnings.

       Google Public Alerts is actually a project of the Google Crisis Response Team, supported by Google.org which uses Google's strengths in information and technology to build products and advocate for policies that address global challenges.Google Public Alerts has started by showing relevant weather, public safety and earthquake alerts from US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the National Weather Service, and the US Geological Survey (USGS) when you search on Google Maps.

       You can see the latest and the most important alerts from across the web when and where they are needed the most.


       Do write in to say what you think of Google's new initiative - Google Public Alerts.

Comments

  1. Dear Google,
    re: Google Public Alerts initiative

    Thank you for this service. I think is an answer to a global need for maps of disaster areas at the time a disaster occurs. Successful disaster response begins with a map. Incident Support Teams need to know where the disaster happened in order to procede to the site to assist the affected area with initial response and recovery.
    The next step for google would be to come up with a means to present the incident area by a perimeter polygon. Please see my discussions on LinkedIn Disaster Researchers and Disaster Management Professionals.
    Vivian A. Wasson, M.S., LSIT
    Springfield, Missouri
    GIS Specialist/Disaster Reservist
    Springfield-Greene County Office of Emergency Management
    Southwest Missouri Incident Support Team (SWMOIST)
    Wasson2008@live.missouristate.edu
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/vivian-a-wasson-m-s-lsit/48/6b9/308

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here...

Recommended for You

Where does Google get it's live traffic data from?

Referring to a post that I wrote earlier, Google’s - Live traffic Layer , ever wondered how Google collected this data? I was wondering the other day, how Google received live data to display it on their maps as a layer! I looked up the web and found something very interesting and am sharing the same with you all. As we all know, the traffic layer is available most accurately in several states in USA. Most major metro areas in the US have sensors embedded in their highways. These sensors track real time traffic data. Easy to miss at high speeds (hopefully anyway, traffic permitting), more commonly noticed may be the similar sensors that often exist at many busy intersections that help the traffic lights most efficiently let the most amount of people through. The information from these tracking sensors is reported back to the Department of Transportation (DOT). The DOT uses this data to update some of the digital signs that report traffic conditions in many metro areas. They als...

What is GIS?

          Once I started writing this blog, I received a number of feedbacks from readers asking me to write something about what exactly GIS is. So here is some information, that will give you an idea about " What is GIS? "           A geographic information system (GIS) integrates hardware, software, and data for capturing, managing, analyzing, and displaying all forms of geographically referenced information. GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts.             A GIS helps you answer questions and solve problems by looking at your data in a way that is quickly understood and easily shared. GIS technology can be integrated into any enterprise information system framework.     ...

My first blog!

          " W hy is it that there are no Goolge Maps API examples which show India specific data?"...This question kept bothering me all through my learning phase. I always thought why aren't there any examples that use a map which shows Indian locations. Anybody who is new to Google Maps API application development would love to see a location that he knows of on the map! This is what I longed for all the way through and now have decided to put up simple examples and other supporting data for building customised simple Google Maps and all will show locations in India! When starting something new, if one finds something familiar out there, then it gives a feeling of comfort! And this is what I will try to provide to all those out there who are facing a similar problem that I faced! I am not an expert at Google Maps API, I am learning too...But, I will like to help out people along the way! So, all comments from the novice to the profession...

Playing with the markers and info window bubbles...

    In the last few posts, we have seen some marker examples and some information window examples. Now, lets do something interesting combining these two things. Just writing that "This is an info window" in the information bubble is not very interesting! And I know this...Have gone through the same phase!     So, today we will do something interesting! We will display the latitude- longitude co-ordinates of the point that the user clicks on the map! Doing this is not at all complex! Copy paste the following code and you will see for yourself a map coming to life!     The output of the above code looks as seen in the result section above! If you have any queries regarding the above code please comment on the blog post or feel free to contact me at my mail ID .

A Giant called Google...

    Wondering what you will be reading in this post today and what is "Google Giant"! Well, I was working on a simple project a couple of months back and that is the time when I was amazed and by the size of data that Google Maps servers might be having! As most of the readers (developers and enthusiast included) would know or might have noticed, Google maps are rendered by stitching small images together. You must have observed this on quite a number of occasions, when you see grey tiles when you have a slow internet connection in particular. It takes time for the images or tiles as we call them to be displayed.     Let us try and estimate what could be the size of the Google Maps data! Before proceeding, let's make a few assumptions and considerations. 1. Let's consider the Google Street View maps only. 2. The zoom level that is considered for the calculations is 21 - the max zoom level allowed on Google Maps API. 3. All the numbers are just an esti...