Skip to main content

Fusion Table Layer...

    Today we will have a look at the "Fusion Table" Layer example. But before we start with the actual code, we will have a look at what Fusion Table is. Google Fusion Table is a free service for sharing and visualizing data online. It allows you to share data, merge data from multiple tables into interesting derived tables, and see the most up-to-date data from all sources. There is a lot of documentation about Google Fusion Table available on the web. You can visit their home page or the Google Research Blog to gather more information about Fusion Tables.

    Let us have a look at the following code. The code is very short and simple to understand!


    The few things to look out for in the above code are:
  • The manner in which mapTypeId has been specified! In other Google Maps API v3 examples, we have seen that we specify mapTypeID as ROADMAP, SATELLITE, etc. i.e., all the letters are in uppercase and not in quotes! However, in this example we are required to specify mapTypeID as 'roadmap' or 'satellite', etc.
  • Look up the line layer = new google.maps.FusionTablesLayer(376526). The number in the brackets is the "dsrcid" of the fusion table. Every Fusion Table has this dsrcid and can be seen in the address bar when the Fusion Table is opened.
    You can copy the above code in a html file and open it in your default browser. You will see the Fusion Table Layer on Google Map in action! The output will be as seen in the result section above.

     I have used a ready-made publicly shared Fusion Table. You can also create your own Fusion Table and share it with the world! If you have any queries regarding this example or Fusion Tables leave a comment! Till then happy mapping!

Comments

  1. Hello, Thanks for the tutorial . It's simple to understand. I however wanted to know how i can merge my created table with the google's weather forecast table and select the only the data that i would want to feature on the site. My address is ojwangwachiaje@gmail.com.

    I would really appreciate any help that you would accord to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Thanks for the tutorial . It's simple to understand. I however wanted to know how i can merge my created table with the google's weather forecast table and select the only the data that i would want to feature on the site. My address is ojwangwachiaje@gmail.com.

    I would really appreciate any help that you would accord to me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here...

Recommended for You

Where does Google get it's live traffic data from?

Referring to a post that I wrote earlier, Google’s - Live traffic Layer , ever wondered how Google collected this data? I was wondering the other day, how Google received live data to display it on their maps as a layer! I looked up the web and found something very interesting and am sharing the same with you all. As we all know, the traffic layer is available most accurately in several states in USA. Most major metro areas in the US have sensors embedded in their highways. These sensors track real time traffic data. Easy to miss at high speeds (hopefully anyway, traffic permitting), more commonly noticed may be the similar sensors that often exist at many busy intersections that help the traffic lights most efficiently let the most amount of people through. The information from these tracking sensors is reported back to the Department of Transportation (DOT). The DOT uses this data to update some of the digital signs that report traffic conditions in many metro areas. They als...

Two maps on the same page - Side-by-side

    How good I am feeling to post a code example after such a long time! It's been all "news" over the past so many posts! Well now that I am finally doing a code example, I am posting a very highly requested code sample. Placing two Google Maps on the same page (Now that's simple you would say!), but side by side. Now this is the thing that most people struggle with. Well, implementing the second part is also very simple, as you will see in today's code.     Let's see the code. Here it is!     The output of the above code will be as seen in the result section above.     As most of you will realize, there are two maps, one centered at "Pune" and other at "Noida". Why I chose these two locations? Well, just like that!...The main issue of concern is how the maps appeared side-by-side and not one below the other as would be normal behavior of two "div" elements used in the same page. Now here is the trick! Check out the...

Playing with the markers and info window bubbles...

    In the last few posts, we have seen some marker examples and some information window examples. Now, lets do something interesting combining these two things. Just writing that "This is an info window" in the information bubble is not very interesting! And I know this...Have gone through the same phase!     So, today we will do something interesting! We will display the latitude- longitude co-ordinates of the point that the user clicks on the map! Doing this is not at all complex! Copy paste the following code and you will see for yourself a map coming to life!     The output of the above code looks as seen in the result section above! If you have any queries regarding the above code please comment on the blog post or feel free to contact me at my mail ID .

My first blog!

          " W hy is it that there are no Goolge Maps API examples which show India specific data?"...This question kept bothering me all through my learning phase. I always thought why aren't there any examples that use a map which shows Indian locations. Anybody who is new to Google Maps API application development would love to see a location that he knows of on the map! This is what I longed for all the way through and now have decided to put up simple examples and other supporting data for building customised simple Google Maps and all will show locations in India! When starting something new, if one finds something familiar out there, then it gives a feeling of comfort! And this is what I will try to provide to all those out there who are facing a similar problem that I faced! I am not an expert at Google Maps API, I am learning too...But, I will like to help out people along the way! So, all comments from the novice to the profession...

What is GIS?

          Once I started writing this blog, I received a number of feedbacks from readers asking me to write something about what exactly GIS is. So here is some information, that will give you an idea about " What is GIS? "           A geographic information system (GIS) integrates hardware, software, and data for capturing, managing, analyzing, and displaying all forms of geographically referenced information. GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts.             A GIS helps you answer questions and solve problems by looking at your data in a way that is quickly understood and easily shared. GIS technology can be integrated into any enterprise information system framework.     ...