Skip to main content

Jquery Mobile Form - Select Menus Part II

    In part II of this tutorial on creating select menus using Jquery Mobile, we will discuss some customization techniques like overriding the default native OS select menu or disabling an option or creating a multi-select select box. It is advisable that you take a look at part I of this tutorial where we have discussed the basics of the select menu. In case you have decided to proceed with this part, then we are ready to take a look at the code that follows.



    In the example code above, you will observe 2 different selects. We will be discussing the following data attributes and HTML5 properties that will enhance the select menus further.

1. data-native-menu="false"
2. data-placeholder="true"
3. disabled
4. multiple

    As seen in the first implementation, by adding the data attribute data-native-menu="false" we can simply override the native OS menu control and display a pop-up containing the options in a listview. If there are a large number of options, the framework will automatically create a new "page" populated with a standard listview for the options.

    To create a placeholder for the select we just need to include a data attribute data-placeholder="true" to an option which holds the placeholder text. This option will then be styled accordingly and will not be selectable. In case you want to disable an option just add disable to that option and that option will be styled as a disabled listview. All the above three things are part of the first implementation in the above example.

    Lets now take a look at how to create a multi select select box. It is as simple as it sounds a big task. Just add keyword multiple to your select element (as seen in the second implementation) and the framework will style each of your option as a listview with a checkbox and you can select multiple options. Each of the options selected will be populated as comma seperated list on the custom select button. To top this off Jquery Mobile framework will aslo add a count bubble on the select button indicating how many options are selected.

    Hope you have enjoyed this post and the other form elements tutorials. Drop a line in case this has helped you, or if you have any concerns, comments on the post or the series of examples that I have shared so far. You can also check out the comprehensive list of examples on Jquery Mobile listview. Till next time, keep sharing - Sharing is Caring.

Comments

Recommended for You

Where does Google get it's live traffic data from?

Referring to a post that I wrote earlier, Google’s - Live traffic Layer , ever wondered how Google collected this data? I was wondering the other day, how Google received live data to display it on their maps as a layer! I looked up the web and found something very interesting and am sharing the same with you all. As we all know, the traffic layer is available most accurately in several states in USA. Most major metro areas in the US have sensors embedded in their highways. These sensors track real time traffic data. Easy to miss at high speeds (hopefully anyway, traffic permitting), more commonly noticed may be the similar sensors that often exist at many busy intersections that help the traffic lights most efficiently let the most amount of people through. The information from these tracking sensors is reported back to the Department of Transportation (DOT). The DOT uses this data to update some of the digital signs that report traffic conditions in many metro areas. They als...

Two maps on the same page - Side-by-side

    How good I am feeling to post a code example after such a long time! It's been all "news" over the past so many posts! Well now that I am finally doing a code example, I am posting a very highly requested code sample. Placing two Google Maps on the same page (Now that's simple you would say!), but side by side. Now this is the thing that most people struggle with. Well, implementing the second part is also very simple, as you will see in today's code.     Let's see the code. Here it is!     The output of the above code will be as seen in the result section above.     As most of you will realize, there are two maps, one centered at "Pune" and other at "Noida". Why I chose these two locations? Well, just like that!...The main issue of concern is how the maps appeared side-by-side and not one below the other as would be normal behavior of two "div" elements used in the same page. Now here is the trick! Check out the...

Playing with the markers and info window bubbles...

    In the last few posts, we have seen some marker examples and some information window examples. Now, lets do something interesting combining these two things. Just writing that "This is an info window" in the information bubble is not very interesting! And I know this...Have gone through the same phase!     So, today we will do something interesting! We will display the latitude- longitude co-ordinates of the point that the user clicks on the map! Doing this is not at all complex! Copy paste the following code and you will see for yourself a map coming to life!     The output of the above code looks as seen in the result section above! If you have any queries regarding the above code please comment on the blog post or feel free to contact me at my mail ID .

My first blog!

          " W hy is it that there are no Goolge Maps API examples which show India specific data?"...This question kept bothering me all through my learning phase. I always thought why aren't there any examples that use a map which shows Indian locations. Anybody who is new to Google Maps API application development would love to see a location that he knows of on the map! This is what I longed for all the way through and now have decided to put up simple examples and other supporting data for building customised simple Google Maps and all will show locations in India! When starting something new, if one finds something familiar out there, then it gives a feeling of comfort! And this is what I will try to provide to all those out there who are facing a similar problem that I faced! I am not an expert at Google Maps API, I am learning too...But, I will like to help out people along the way! So, all comments from the novice to the profession...

What is GIS?

          Once I started writing this blog, I received a number of feedbacks from readers asking me to write something about what exactly GIS is. So here is some information, that will give you an idea about " What is GIS? "           A geographic information system (GIS) integrates hardware, software, and data for capturing, managing, analyzing, and displaying all forms of geographically referenced information. GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts.             A GIS helps you answer questions and solve problems by looking at your data in a way that is quickly understood and easily shared. GIS technology can be integrated into any enterprise information system framework.     ...