Skip to main content

Side-scrolling web pages issue with Jquery Mobile - Issue #5748

    While developing a Jquery mobile based application, I came across a issue that is observed only on the iOS 6 devices and Android 4.2.2 devices.

    What is the issue?
        Web pages are side scrolling on iOS6 and Android 4.2.2 devices.

    How did I debug the issue?
        This bug was in our applications bug tracker for a long time and since I am the lone front-end developer the project that I am working on, my manger was pushing me to close this bug quickly. I had used the perfect mobile meta tag and still the web pages were side-scrolling. None of my divs had width that was going beyond the device widths and still there was this issue. That day, I decided to break down my HTML to pieces, and tested each piece on the dreadful iOS 6 device. I came down to a textbox that had some placeholder text in it and there it was, the issue was glaring me in my face.

    Workaround
        I reduced the width of the textbox with the placeholder from 100% to slightly less and then the web pages stopped side-scrolling. I checked for the issue across the web, but did not find any reports on this issue. I have now reported this issue on Jquery mobile github and you can check out the issue report at http://goo.gl/KNFBX

    This issue is a bit weird and you will know why I say so. Take a look at the following jsfiddle that I have created to demonstrate this issue.



    Now lets get down to the steps to reproduce this.
1. Click on http://goo.gl/IszAn keeping the device in portrait mode.
2. Once the page has completely loaded, rotate the device from portrait mode to landscape mode.
3. Rotate the device back to the portrait mode from the landscape mode.
4. Lo and behold your webpage is now side-scrolling.

    Hope another developer does not spend sleepless nights over this issue now and hope Jquery Mobile takes a note of this issue and fixes it in their next release.

UPDATE:
    This issue has been fixed and is part of the new version of JQuery Mobile 1.4.0. You can currently check the status of this issue and it's fix inclusion status on Github!

Comments

Recommended for You

Where does Google get it's live traffic data from?

Referring to a post that I wrote earlier, Google’s - Live traffic Layer , ever wondered how Google collected this data? I was wondering the other day, how Google received live data to display it on their maps as a layer! I looked up the web and found something very interesting and am sharing the same with you all. As we all know, the traffic layer is available most accurately in several states in USA. Most major metro areas in the US have sensors embedded in their highways. These sensors track real time traffic data. Easy to miss at high speeds (hopefully anyway, traffic permitting), more commonly noticed may be the similar sensors that often exist at many busy intersections that help the traffic lights most efficiently let the most amount of people through. The information from these tracking sensors is reported back to the Department of Transportation (DOT). The DOT uses this data to update some of the digital signs that report traffic conditions in many metro areas. They als...

Geodesic Polyline

    Today we will have a look at a very interesting polyline example - "The geodesic polyline". Now the first question that will pop is "What is geodesic?". Mathematically, geodesic means the shortest line between two points on a mathematically defined surface, as a straight line on a plain or an arc of a great circle or sphere.     The next question after reading the above definition is clearly, "Why do we need geodesic polylines?" and that would be followed up with "What is this Great Circle?". We will discuss this first, before we move on to the actual example today. The example is very very similar to the normal polyline example, with just a small change.     Having said so, I will now try to explain why we need a geodesic polyline? The shortest distance between two locations on the earth is rarely a straight line as the earth is roughly spherical in nature. So any two points on the earth, even if they are very close lie on a curve a...

Playing with the markers and info window bubbles...

    In the last few posts, we have seen some marker examples and some information window examples. Now, lets do something interesting combining these two things. Just writing that "This is an info window" in the information bubble is not very interesting! And I know this...Have gone through the same phase!     So, today we will do something interesting! We will display the latitude- longitude co-ordinates of the point that the user clicks on the map! Doing this is not at all complex! Copy paste the following code and you will see for yourself a map coming to life!     The output of the above code looks as seen in the result section above! If you have any queries regarding the above code please comment on the blog post or feel free to contact me at my mail ID .

My first blog!

          " W hy is it that there are no Goolge Maps API examples which show India specific data?"...This question kept bothering me all through my learning phase. I always thought why aren't there any examples that use a map which shows Indian locations. Anybody who is new to Google Maps API application development would love to see a location that he knows of on the map! This is what I longed for all the way through and now have decided to put up simple examples and other supporting data for building customised simple Google Maps and all will show locations in India! When starting something new, if one finds something familiar out there, then it gives a feeling of comfort! And this is what I will try to provide to all those out there who are facing a similar problem that I faced! I am not an expert at Google Maps API, I am learning too...But, I will like to help out people along the way! So, all comments from the novice to the profession...

50000 hits and live examples

    Hello to all the blog readers - to the regulars and the first timers. Spatial Unlimited just crossed the 50,000 all time hits milestone and so its time to celebrate and also mark the occasion with something new and interesting.       The new addition to this blog is that, you will now be able to enjoy the codes live on the blog. I am adding some life to the blog by converting all the earlier life-less codes to JsFiddle powered live examples. I have converted a few and am sharing the links here. Please share your feedback and let me know what you think of the new additions. Hope you keep enjoying the blog as much as I enjoy updating it! Cheers! Links to Live Examples: 1. Simple Google Map 2. Simple Map Marker 3. Multiple Markers 4. KML Layer