The always improving and always progressing Jquery Mobile framework is currently in stable version 1.2.0. This version works with versions of jQuery core from 1.7.0 to 1.8.2. Let's take a look at the various key features of this very powerful and truly cross-platform mobile web framework.
- Built on Jquery Core - This helps in consistency in syntax as it uses the standard Jquery syntax and makes use of the Jquery UI code and patterns. This also reduces the learning curve to a great extent due to the familiarity with Jquery.
- Compatible with all major mobile, tablet, e-reader & desktop platforms - This is probably one of the most important feature of this web platform. Jquery Mobile is compatible with a wide range of devices like iOS, Android, Blackberry, Palm WebOS, Nokia/Symbian, Windows Phone 7, MeeGo, Opera Mobile/Mini, Firefox Mobile, Kindle, Nook and all modern browsers with graded levels of support.
- Progressive enhancement approach brings core content and functionality to all mobile, tablet and desktop platforms and a rich, installed application-like experience on newer mobile platforms.
- Responsive design techniques and tools allow the same underlying codebase to automatically scale from smartphone to desktop-sized screens. This is very useful we have the same design for all device sizes like phones and tablets.
- Touch and mouse event support streamline the process of supporting touch, mouse and cursor focus-based user input methods with a simple API.
- Unified UI widgets for common controls enhance native controls with touch-optimized, themable controls that are platform-agnostic and easy to use.
- HTML5 Markup-driven configuration of pages and behavior for fast development and minimal required scripting.
- Powerful Ajax-powered navigation system to enable animated page transitions while maintaining back button, bookmarking and clean URLs through pushState. This feature comes in handy when the user has to bookmark pages on an e-commerce site or any other site for that matter. We as developers do not have to take extra efforts for bookmarking and back button functionality.
- Lightweight size and minimal image dependencies for speed. This proves really helpful as Jquery Mobile is used for devices which have a lesser computing speed as compared to our desktops and laptops.
- Modular architecture for creating custom builds that are optimized to only include the features needed for a particular application. This allows the application to be reduced in size even further.
With all these features provided by the Jquery Mobile framework, the developers have a very strong platform on which they can build extensively branding based, customized and uniform applications across all devices and browsers.