Skip to main content

First Google Enterprise Geospatial Summit 2011 India


            December 7, 2011 - I attended the first ever Google Enterprise Geospatial Summit 2011 held in New Delhi, India. I was so excited to attend this seminar as I work on the Google Maps API.


            Reached the venue - The Sheraton, New Delhi along with a colleague of mine from my work place.


The Venue - Sheraton, New Delhi

            The registration for the event took a long time though we had registered online. Pretty lousy work by the organizers, but the seminar that followed was worth the effort.


           Enjoying Snacks and Coffee before the start of the exciting evening...




            The participants were pouring in and the stage was set for a wonderful Mapping evening. The speakers had a lot in store for us.


            Mr. Pankaj - The Google Geospatial Head Asia, started of the proceedings with describing the Google's geospatial services and showed couple of exciting videos. Mr. Pankaj spoke for around 15-20 mins and then the mike was transferred to Mr. Sean Maday who had come all the way from Google, US.


            Mr. Sean (who's designation, I have forgotten) started off with the Google Maps Enterprise API and shared with the audience several lovely applications which had put the Google Maps to great use. He then concluded off the session with the Google Fusion Tables. We then broke off for snacks and tea for about 15 minutes.


My registration badge


            Then began the post tea session wherein Mr. Sean spoke about Google Earth, Google Earth Pro, Google Earth Builder, Google Earth Portable and Google Earth Enterprise Client. He shed light on some of the different features of each of these products. The presentations were really good and Mr. Sean is a really good speaker. 


           Then began the QA session, where Mr. Sean and Mr. Pankaj answered several questions raised by the audience.


            They also took several questions offline and Sean was more than happy to answer the several queries that we raised about Google Maps and Google Earth. It was great interacting with him.




           The presentations were followed by drinks and a sumptuous dinner and totally yummy deserts...


             And finally after the dinner, we left the Sheraton to reach our home and start mapping...!

Comments

Recommended for You

Where does Google get it's live traffic data from?

Referring to a post that I wrote earlier, Google’s - Live traffic Layer , ever wondered how Google collected this data? I was wondering the other day, how Google received live data to display it on their maps as a layer! I looked up the web and found something very interesting and am sharing the same with you all. As we all know, the traffic layer is available most accurately in several states in USA. Most major metro areas in the US have sensors embedded in their highways. These sensors track real time traffic data. Easy to miss at high speeds (hopefully anyway, traffic permitting), more commonly noticed may be the similar sensors that often exist at many busy intersections that help the traffic lights most efficiently let the most amount of people through. The information from these tracking sensors is reported back to the Department of Transportation (DOT). The DOT uses this data to update some of the digital signs that report traffic conditions in many metro areas. They als...

Two maps on the same page - Side-by-side

    How good I am feeling to post a code example after such a long time! It's been all "news" over the past so many posts! Well now that I am finally doing a code example, I am posting a very highly requested code sample. Placing two Google Maps on the same page (Now that's simple you would say!), but side by side. Now this is the thing that most people struggle with. Well, implementing the second part is also very simple, as you will see in today's code.     Let's see the code. Here it is!     The output of the above code will be as seen in the result section above.     As most of you will realize, there are two maps, one centered at "Pune" and other at "Noida". Why I chose these two locations? Well, just like that!...The main issue of concern is how the maps appeared side-by-side and not one below the other as would be normal behavior of two "div" elements used in the same page. Now here is the trick! Check out the...

Playing with the markers and info window bubbles...

    In the last few posts, we have seen some marker examples and some information window examples. Now, lets do something interesting combining these two things. Just writing that "This is an info window" in the information bubble is not very interesting! And I know this...Have gone through the same phase!     So, today we will do something interesting! We will display the latitude- longitude co-ordinates of the point that the user clicks on the map! Doing this is not at all complex! Copy paste the following code and you will see for yourself a map coming to life!     The output of the above code looks as seen in the result section above! If you have any queries regarding the above code please comment on the blog post or feel free to contact me at my mail ID .

My first blog!

          " W hy is it that there are no Goolge Maps API examples which show India specific data?"...This question kept bothering me all through my learning phase. I always thought why aren't there any examples that use a map which shows Indian locations. Anybody who is new to Google Maps API application development would love to see a location that he knows of on the map! This is what I longed for all the way through and now have decided to put up simple examples and other supporting data for building customised simple Google Maps and all will show locations in India! When starting something new, if one finds something familiar out there, then it gives a feeling of comfort! And this is what I will try to provide to all those out there who are facing a similar problem that I faced! I am not an expert at Google Maps API, I am learning too...But, I will like to help out people along the way! So, all comments from the novice to the profession...

Ground Truth - How Google Builds Maps

    Todays's article is cross posted from The Atlantic 's Tech section. The article was posted by Alexis Madrigal who is a senior editor at The Atlantic , where he oversees the Technology channel. So, thanks to The Atlantic and Alexis Madrigal, we will have an exclusive look inside Ground Truth , the secretive program to build the world's best accurate maps.     Behind every Google Map, there is a much more complex map that's the key to your queries but hidden from your view. The deep map contains the logic of places: their no-left-turns and freeway on-ramps, speed limits and traffic conditions. This is the data that you're drawing from when you ask Google to navigate you from point A to point B -- and last week, Google showed me the internal map and demonstrated how it was built. It's the first time the company has let anyone watch how the project it calls GT, or "Ground Truth," actually works.     Google opened up at a key moment in its evo...